Meet the School Counselor
Prior to joining the Ocean Palms family, Ms. Ngai-Crim was a school counselor at Liberty Pines Academy for three years. She was also a special education teacher in Senoia, Georgia before moving with her family to St. Augustine. Ms. Ngai-Crim graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Social Control and Deviant Behavior from John Jay College of Criminal Justice. She has a Master of Art and a Master of Education in Psychological Counseling from Teachers College, Columbia University. Ms. Ngai-Crim also has a Master of Education in Special Education from Grand Canyon University. She is a native New Yorker and is a fan of the Yankees, Knicks and Giants.
The counselor’s statement of guidance philosophy: We believe and adhere to:
- The work, dignity, and uinqueness of the student.
- Respect for and acceptance of the student as he/she comes to us with the values of his/her social and cultural environment.
- The student’s capacity for self-actualization, self-determination, and self-discipline.
- Provide significant and holistic counseling techniques for the maximum potential of students.
- Guidance as an integral part of creating life-long learners and global citizens.
- Guidance services for students that are primarily developmental and preventative.
- A guidance program which is supportive to the total school curriculum.
- Cooperative relationship involving school, home and community.
- The constant striving of counselors for improvement and professional growth in order to facilitate this philosophy.
Responsibilities of the school counselor:
- Conducts guidance lessons on topics such as bullying, safety, career exploration, and the six pillars of Character Counts!
- Provides individual and group counseling to students with identified needs and concerns.
- Consults and collaborates effectively with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators, and other educational resources regarding students with identified needs and concerns.
- Coordinates all district and state tests and assessments.
- Coordinates the gifted screening process for applicable students.
- Coordinates Section 504 Plans.
- Coordinates ESOL Plans.
- Coordinate Character Counts celebrations.
- Monitors student academic performance, behavior, and attendance to assist with appropriate interventions.
- Member of MTSS (Multi-Tiered Systems of Support) team.
- Provide additional services as required by the principal and assistant principal.